Technician – Hydrogen Applications
Job title: HYDROGEN SYSTEMS TECHNICIAN
We are seeking an energetic, responsible, and motivated individual to join our vibrant start-up team. As a crucial member, you will be responsible for operating the HYENA POWER POD, executing various test protocols, system commissioning, and participating in field trials. Excellent communication, interpersonal, and planning skills are essential, along with a keen interest in hydrogen and fuel cell technology. Reporting to both the heads of technology innovation and product development, this role offers a unique opportunity to contribute to the advancement of clean energy solutions in a professional and dynamic environment.
- Operate and Maintain POWER POD: Responsible for operating of POWER POD, including the fuel cell.
- Test Protocol Execution: Execute various test protocols to evaluate system performance, reliability, and efficiency. Ensure adherence to testing procedures and document results accurately.
- Field Trial Support: Provide support for field trials, including the installation, operation, and troubleshooting of systems/system components. Collaborate with the team to ensure successful implementation and data collection during field trials.
- Planning and Organisation: Efficiently plan and organise work to meet project deadlines and manage multiple tasks simultaneously. Prioritise tasks, track progress and effectively communicate any potential delays or issues.
- Collaboration and Reporting: Collaborate with the head of technology innovation and head of product development to provide regular updates on project progress, test results, and any challenges encountered. Contribute to team discussions and brainstorming sessions.
- Safety and Compliance: Adhere to safety guidelines and regulatory standards during all operational activities. Maintain a safe working environment and ensure compliance with relevant protocols and procedures.
- Suitable Science or Engineering Qualification: Possess a minimum qualification of a BTech in Science or Engineering. Preferably, hold an MEng degree.
- Hands-On: Possess practical experience in operating lab-scale and pilot systems. Familiarity with the use of Swagelok or similar components is required.
- Knowledge of Pressurised Systems and Catalysts: Apply knowledge and experience of pressurised systems and catalysts to ensure safe and efficient operation of the POWER POD and related equipment. Identify areas for improvement and propose solutions.
- Proficiency in MS Excel: Demonstrate the ability to effectively use MS Excel for tasks such as graphing, tables, calculations, and data processing. This includes advanced functions and formulas. Perform data analysis to extract meaningful insights and support decision-making processes.
- Driver’s License: Hold a valid driver’s license for occasional travel to field trial and testing locations. This may involve visiting different sites and locations as part of the job responsibilities.
- Strong Analytical and Problem-Solving Skills: Demonstrate the ability to analyse complex problems, identify root causes, and propose effective solutions. Possess strong critical thinking and troubleshooting abilities.
- Excellent Communication and Teamwork Abilities: Display excellent communication skills, both written and verbal, to effectively interact with colleagues, stakeholders, and customers. Collaborate efficiently within a team and contribute to a positive work environment.
- Ability to Work Independently and Manage Multiple Tasks: Exhibit self-motivation and the capability to work independently. Manage multiple tasks simultaneously, prioritise workload, and meet deadlines effectively.
Hydrogen Energy Applications, or in short HYENA, is a deep-tech development company that spun out of the University of Cape Town. HYENA is now developing its POWER POD as a solution to deploy fuel cell technology into Africa, where hydrogen distribution is all but non-existent. The POWER POD is a diesel
generator-replacement technology that produces on-site, on-demand and reliable electricity by using LPG
as the available fuel (hydrogen carrier).
HYENA is offering an exciting full-time position in our vibrant startup environment, focused on cutting-edge technology in the hydrogen fuel cell industry. If you are passionate about this field and eager to contribute your creativity, we invite you to apply.
Please submit your cover letter and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Only selected candidates will be contacted for interviews.