Job title: Fuel cell engineer
Location: Cape Town, South Africa
The candidate must be an energetic, driven, strongly disciplined individual, able to deal with multiple, simultaneous demands in a vibrant start-up company environment, who is capable of managing a fuel cell system assembly and integration portfolio. The candidate must have excellent communication, inter-personal and planning skills and have a thorough understanding and knowledge of PEM fuel cells. The candidate will report to, both, the head technology innovation and head of product development.
- To lead all matters of fuel cell technology development as they pertain to the integration of fuel cell stacks into HYENA’s POWER POD;
- To manage the assembly of a fuel cell system in conjunction with HYENA’s fuel cell stack- and engineering partners;
- To act as central liaison on fuel cell system related matters;
- To develop and manage fuel cell component supply chain relationships;
- To undertake fuel cell system tests and provide operational improvement recommendations;
- To contribute to the design, validation and improvement of the POWER POD;
- To undertake field trials in appropriately designated environments;
- To pursue detailed techno-economic evaluations of the HYENA technology and new developmental opportunities.
- A suitable Science or Engineering (higher education) qualification (minimum Bachelor);
- Good knowledge of various types of fuel cells and hands-on experience in operating fuel cells.
Hydrogen Energy Applications, or in short HYENA, is a deep-tech development company that spun out of the University of Cape Town. HYENA is now developing its POWER POD as a solution to deploy fuel cell technology into Africa, where hydrogen distribution is all but non-existent. The POWER POD is a diesel generator-replacement technology that produces on-site, on-demand and reliable electricity by using LPG as the available fuel (hydrogen carrier).
HYENA offers a full-time position in a vibrant startup environment, working on cutting-edge technology in the hydrogen fuel cell space with ample room for own creativity. If this excites you, we encourage you to apply. Applications should include a cover letter plus a full CV and can be sent to email@example.com. Only selected candidates will be invited for an interview.